- What is your role at Davidons
At Davidsons I am a Senior Advisor in charge of :
- Internal Audit/Risk Compliance/Governance
- Business Valuations/Strategic Planning.
- What made you choose accounting as a career?
I chose Accounting and Commerce as a career because initially I was good with numbers and as I evolved I enjoyed the client interaction and issue resolution.
- Why do your clients love you?
And my clients love me because I believe I de-mystify the financial world they live in and provide them with practical solutions to complex issues.
- How would your team describe you?
The team would describe me as experienced with a wide network of business contacts.
- What is something people might not know about you?
Something you may not know about me is that I have had numerous surgeries commencing with major back surgery when I was 17 to having both my hips replaced when I was in my early 50’s
- How do you spend your weekends?
My weekends are spent playing sport or watching my son play sport or working in the garden.
- What do you love about working at Davidsons?
The number one thing I love about Davidsons and my career are the qualities of the people I work with and assisting clients to understand the financial aspect of their lives and work.
Ian Sweet is Senior Advisor in our Business Advisory Division who works primarily with many Government Agencies and Not for Profits in meeting their Compliance and Governance requirements concerning:
- Internal Audit
- Risk Management
- Business Continuity Planning
- Strategic Financial Planning
- Financial Reporting
Ian’s role with these organisations is as a sub-contract Professional who deals with Boards and Management Committees.
The other aspects to his role is with Private Business Owners assisting them with
- Business Succession
- Business Sale and Due Diligence
- Business Valuations
- Strategic Planning
- Business Life Planning
- Financial Management Reporting
- Cost Accounting
- SWOT Analysis
Whilst SME owners operate different types of Business they all face very similar issues and challenges and with Ian’s experience he is able to relate to their concerns and needs and come up with some practical solutions to help them move forward.
As a Former Director and Shareholder at Davidsons Ian has empathy for the challenges Business Owners face and can provide an independent view on client’s current and future outlooks.
Over the years Ian has acted in an honorary capacity for a number of organisations as a Board member.
- Basketball Geelong (incorporating the Geelong Supercats)
- Kalkee Aged Care
- Anam Cara House (Hospice and Palliative Care)
- Torquay Golf Club
Ian and his wife Maura have lived in Geelong for over 50 years and Ian attended Oberon High School, attained a Bachelor of Commerce at Deakin University and has been a CPA for 39 years. He is also a Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors in Australia. Ian and Maura’s son Patrick is about to embark on a Commerce Degree at Melbourne University.
Prior to his 20 year career at Davidsons Ian worked in the following industries:
- Six (6) years in Public Health Finance and Administration.
- Three (3) years in Retail Financial Management.
- Six (6) years In Banking Management and Internal Audit
- Five (5) years in Public Accounting Practise